Who Provides East Bay Paratransit
East Bay Paratransit is provided by AC Transit and BART. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires all bus and rail companies to provide paratransit service to riders whose disabilities prevent them from using regular public transit. The two agencies joined together to work cooperatively to provide ADA paratransit in their overlapping service areas for individuals who are eligible.
Both agencies also operate accessible regular services that are used daily by many individuals with disabilities.
All AC Transit buses are equipped with the following accessibility features:
- passenger lifts or ramps; “kneeling", which lowers the first step several inches to make the first step easier.
- priority seating near the front of buses, for persons with disabilities and seniors.
- two wheelchair securement locations per bus and drivers who can provide securement assistance as needed.
- lap/shoulder belts which wheelchair users can request.
- stop announcements.
- a special wheelchair marking/tether strap program for identifying/providing proper securement points on wheelchairs.
BART has many features to make it possible for people with disabilities to use it, including:
- textured rubber tiles along the length of train platforms to warn passengers that they are close to the platform edge.
- train operators announce the name of the next station as well as instructions for transfers.
- changeable message signs and audible PA announcements on the platform announce arrival times and then identify each train as it comes into the station.
- telecommunications devices for the deaf (TDD) can be found in each BART station.
- accessible elevators serve all the stations and platforms.
- level boarding from the platform to all trains-no steps, no ramps.
- several wheelchair locations in every car.
- public and white courtesy telephones at stations.
- priority seating near the doors for seniors and persons with disabilities.
Phone contacts for AC Transit and BART are:
AC Transit General Information (510) 891-4777
AC Transit Accessible Services Department (510) 891-7261
BART General Information (510) 236-BART
BART Accessible Services Division (510) 464-6184
AC Transit and BART have private sector partners with whom they contract to provide East Bay Paratransit service. At this time the contractors are:
- Veolia Transportation: eligibility, reservations, scheduling, customer service, management of service providers. Veolia is referred to as the “paratransit broker” for East Bay Paratransit.
- A-Paratransit: service provider.
- First Transit: service provider.
- MV Paratransit: service provider.
- CGR Management Consultants: administrative
But all the rider needs to remember is EAST BAY PARATRANSIT!